Friday, May 23, 2014

Wayne Rooney - The Pressure Is On Roo

All English and Manchester United supporters' eyes will be on Wayne Rooney next month in Brazil. The Red Devil talisman seems to be relaxed, but also understand this is perhaps his last chance to shine.

"So I believe this is really the last big one I feel that I can get the best out of me. I feel ready and fresh and as good as I can do going into this tournament.
"I believe this is the one that I have to show what I can do and I believe I’m in the best possible condition to do that. I’m ready for it, I’m excited for it and there’ll be no excuses this time."
-Wayne Rooney speaking at England training camp in Portugal
My feelings for Wayne Rooney swing back and forth like a pendulum on Walter White's blue.  Most of the time I think he's overpaid, over-rated and has an MLS-level first touch.  However, as soon as I think I'm certain of these things, he bangs a Scholes-esque diagonal across the pitch that lands softly on Antonio Valencia's lonely right foot.  Then someone tweets a video of his bicycled winner against the noisy (nouveau riche) neighbors.  I am sure many of us feel the same way.  His moments of brilliance inspire us to ask: Why aren't there more moments of brilliance?

With the World Cup approaching, this is probably his last chance to achieve his potential at the National level and show why he was once affectionately referred to as the white PelĂ©. Sure, Manchester United decided he was worth something close to £300,000 a week, but to MUFC, his value is somewhat different. He was given a huge contract to prove a PR point, not because he is on a level with Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi.  Mark my words, though, there will come a time when Old Trafford won't need him anymore and his treacherous flirtations with City and Chelsea will come back to haunt him (as he counts all of his money).

I would love to see Wayne Rooney absolutely light up Brazil.  Not so much for him, or for England, but because the Red Devils need a confident and content Wayne Rooney in the upcoming club season - not the tortured and dejected Rooney who needs cigarette to deal with the stress of feeling unappreciated and a failure.  Pragmatically speaking, the best players want to play with the best players and right now, we need to attract the best players.

Also, to be fair to Wayne Rooney, I am always impressed by how well he handles himself during post-match interviews and press conferences.  Perhaps his agent and his starring role on Mourinho's Special 1 TV, don't do him justice.  That's brilliant, that is...


No comments:

Post a Comment